Thursday, May 04, 2006


So long and thanks for all the fish.


This is going to be the last one for the foreseeable future. If there's one thing that Gokhale's taught me, it's to never say never. So hopefully, at some point in time, I'll be updating this space.
But right now, I don't want to.

Man treasures the most those parts of the world around him that resonate the most with what he holds dearest within himself.

Yes, yes, I know. Read it a couple of times. I suspect you'll find yourself in agreement.

And therefore, Gokhale has been the single greatest influence on my life. All that I am today is certainly not due to Gokhale alone, but all that I hold dearest within me has been shaped, irrevocably so, by that Institute in Deccan Gymkhana, Pune.

Most of the people dearest to me have been encountered in Gokhale, most of my fondest memories are centered around Gokhale, almost all of life's invaluable lessons, or whatever it is that self help books are calling bamboos up the ass nowadays, have been connected in some way or the other to Gokhale.

And leaving it all is the most painful thing that I've ever had to do. Letting go of something as dear as Gokhale has come to be… which essentially means letting go of people who've come to mean as much as they do… is no easy task.

But clinging on to the vestiges of the past, onto a memory that clouds the present is no solution. And therefore say adieu I must.

Coming back to life and all that.

To Mav, Boshu, GT, Soumya and Milind in the first year, and to Boshu, Jacob and Milind in the second: you guys in many ways, defined all that was Gokhale. You were there through thick and thin. You gave help whenever I asked, and you reprimanded me whenever I needed it, and there can be no greater compliment I can give.

To all of the others, you've become family in a way that I needn't describe. You've been there whenever I've asked of you, and I can only hope that I've been able to return the favour.

What's above isn't necessarily corny or overtly emotional. It is, I suspect, stuff that each of feels, but won't say until Bacchus rings in merry hell. If it isn't stuff that you feel, well, dude, sorry and all, but you're missing out on something here.

Maybe one day it won't pain quite as much. And maybe one day I'll write out here again. I hope so.

But I have my reasons, some of which all of you know, and all of which some of you know, to say au revoir for the moment.

In the fervent hope that I'm bullshitting,

Cheers,

Ashish.

1 comment:

Gobri said...

I love you sweetheart

Welcome to Gokhale. Life at the hostel, with the myriad mysteries of the Insti thrown in as a bonus.